Friday 14 September 2012

JAPAN reminiscences part 1



I just tried the hair treatment oil I bought in Japan, it's so good because I smell Japan in it. That sounds dumb, I know, but it is true. The smell immediately arouses nostalgia. So yes, I am back in Belgium, but I was so sad to leave Japan. I already miss these crazy Japanese people. Now all that's left is a mishmash of thousands of pictures and videos.


First some background information if you would like to know. Why Japan? Very simple. My mum is a Japanese teacher at university in Belgium. Because of that she has been to Japan several times and has many Japanese friends. Sometimes these friends stay at our house and that's how I got quite used to their culture and language. Although I am not able to speak Japanese, the language sounds so familiar to me.



This was my second time, but actually my first time experiencing it intensively, because last time I was only eleven. I went with my mum and sister. We flew into Osaka, so we stayed there some days at the beginning of the trip and at the end. Because of that it felt like we came back home at the end of the trip. If only it was true.


According to wikipedia Osaka is the third largest city of Japan. As a true lover of big cities I loved Osaka so much. The energetic vibe of the city and oh god the fact that there are people everywhere, that it is so busy and noisy, the feeling of getting lost in the crowd, I love that. Especially during rush hours it's crazy. Tons of people in the underground, rushing from one place to another.

The first day was completely dominated by jet lag. We couldn't do much more than going to the super market, being overwhelmed by all these incredibly cool Japanese products, eating, sleeping.


On the second day we explored the beautiful city. On the third day we already had to go back to the airport, luckily not to fly back home, but to take a domestic flight to Okinawa, a small exotic Japanese island.




On the first night in Okinawa we ate typical Okinawan food. Pigs ears for example... anyone?

There was such a nice atmosphere in the restaurant because there was this small 'performance' with music and dancing.




breathtaking view from the hotel room

No comments:

Post a Comment