Saturday 3 September 2011

New York photo diary I


On the road, I couldn't believe I was driving to New York. It's the city everyone talks about, the city that is used in so many movies and soaps, the city everyone loves before even been there. But when the skyline was showing up and the Jay-Z and Alicia Keys song came through the speakers, everything felt real. I was so excited.
What did I do on the first day? We explored the hotel's neighborhood which was on Times Square.
my friend Dido
In the evening we went to Top of the Rock (the roof deck of the Rockefeller Center) to have a view over the city. We went up just before sunset and it was awesome to see all the city lights turn on. I wish I could stay on that roof for ever.
So yeah.. what to say about Times Square? When I came there for the first time, I felt so small between those giant screens. When I came there at night, I really had this "wow-feeling". I loved the busy, chaotic atmosphere. But then I had to cross the square full of tourists almost everyday because our hotel was located on it and I started thinking that this place was overrated. You know, before going to New York I thought that every street would be full of flickering, chaotic, cool screens and that everything would be "fabulous and glamourous" But it's not. It's so much better! Just saying that if you are looking for a more "real" taste of New York, you really shouldn't only talk about/go to Times Square ;-) and now I feel like I'm talking as a native New Yorker, but I have only been there once, ooops. Don't blame me, I just like to have my own opinion! Good thing about it is that all shops are open until 11, 12, 1 o'clock, so yeah I really was trying on some jeans at 11 PM. What a difference if you know shops in Brussels close at 6 PM!
I love how the underground in different cities is always so different but still the same.
The next day we went to Soho and Greenwich Village, a very pretty neighborhood in Lower Manhattan. I wouldn't mind having a loft there ;-)

We went to Magnolia Bakery, you know the bakery that was featured on Sex and the City. And mmmm, those cupcakes are d-e-l-i-c-i-o-u-s!
all pictures are taken + edited by me, besides the 2 pictures of me, they are taken by my dad.
Next photo diary is coming up in a few days!
Wanna see what I did before NYC? Check out my USA photo diaries: 1, 2 and 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment